Monday, 31 March 2014

Here Kitty, Kitty...

Some of my fondest food memories involve North America.  Heck, some of my fondest memories altogether involve North America.  Yeah, I've eaten at Michelin starred restaurants and had some pretty spectacular meals on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere but I have a real soft spot for some dirty, greasy American junk food.  I don't know what it is, but the thought of a chilli cheese hot dog or fried chicken wings with waffles makes me a little weak at the knee.  I understand I may have turned some of you right off by now.  I can't help it.  We all have our little quirks.

As I can't always be flitting around North America, I'm always a little excited when any place in Perth should pop up that serves up promises of the good old dirty food that I love.  I guess with the popularity of what has been coined 'dude food', that seems to go hand in hand with cuisine à la Americana. 

Miss Kitty's Saloon is one such establishment in Perth that focuses on American and Canadian food offering dishes such as chicken and waffles, the Canadian 'classic' of poutine and the staple mac 'n' cheese.  It's a bit of a mixed bunch menu in that you'll also find oysters or grilled Fremantle octopus.  They also have fried pickles on the menu, which we did not order but I have experienced fried pickles in Tennessee, and it's safe to say I am not a fan.

My friends and I ordered a couple of dishes.  It is family style dining so dishes are intended to be shared.  We started with a beverage, I really can't remember what it was.  I'm sorry.


We then started the food selection off with the hot wing pancakes, which came as a perfect serve for the three of us.  To be honest, it wasn't quite what I was expecting.  I thought that the chicken would be fried, or have some crunch to it but it was more just the meat (I assume from the wing?) smothered in a hot sauce served with ranch sauce atop of a pancake garnished with grated carrot.  The sauce was indeed hot.  There was nothing wrong with it, but I wasn't wowed. 


The next couple of dishes came in one hit which was almost a bit too much for our little table to manage fitting everything on.  I have to say that is one thing that does bother me when dining out.  A lot of places will seat you at a tiny table when there's more than two of you and it can barely accommodate all the serving dishes, plus your own plate, glassware and so on.  A little bit of space and elbow room is appreciated.



 

Yay for carbs!  The mac 'n' cheese was incredible.  I love the crunch on top.  It was super cheesy and creamy, and definitely very moreish.  As for the poutine.  Helloooo.  Number one, chips and gravy is one of the best things ever in this world.  Number two, add some cheese curds and it takes it even further.  To the uninitiated, poutine may seem a little odd.  A bit of a strange combination of chips, gravy and curd but believe me it does work.  You just have to try it.  The mac 'n' cheese and the poutine could definitely do with a larger serving because you will definitely want more of them.  

The steak was really well cooked with a nice char flavour to it.  The salad type thing on the side; it was a bit fiddly.  The lettuce cup held avocado cubes and a hunk of blue cheese which we were advised to break up and have a little bit of cheese with a little bit of the avocado and lettuce.  It would have been easier to eat if the whole thing was already put together as a salad.   Considering all dishes are intended to be shared it is slightly difficult to break off some lettuce for everyone then take a piece of cheese with a cube of avocado.  


Lastly was the chicken and waffles.  Again just like poutine it's one of those things that you don't quite understand how it would work but it does.  Just like pancake, bacon and maple syrup! It's an extremely small size to be shared.  It does come with a couple of pieces of the chicken, but they're sitting on one lone square of waffle and portioning up the waffle doesn't leave you with much of it per person.  For more than two people you definitely need to order an additional serve and this would be something useful which could be suggested by the waitstaff.  Just like the hot wings and pancakes this one failed to wow.  I was so excited about the chicken and waffles too!  This was a bit dry (both the chicken and the waffle), I think the garnishing and orange segments were unnecessary.  I think it needed more maple syrup, which is how I've had it when in the US. 

My favourite dishes were the steak, mac 'n' cheese and the poutine.  They were all very well enjoyed.  Overall I do feel that the serving sizes are small, given that these are intended to be shared dishes.  Going by the size of each dish that we had, they are probably best shared between two although the mac 'n' cheese and poutine could be stretched a bit further given the richness and heaviness.  That would be my tip for those planning to check out Miss Kitty's.  Definitely order double (or more) of each dish depending on how many there are of you or ask the waitstaff if it will be sufficient.

Miss Kitty's Saloon on Urbanspoon 




No comments:

Post a Comment